sinmotion

Emotional Reader

Lost in a book somewhere. Experiencing emotions.

On the Road
Jack Kerouac
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
Dave Eggers
Jane Eyre
Michael Mason, Charlotte Brontë
A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire #1)
George R.R. Martin, Roy Dotrice
Emma Trevayne
Blackout
Robison Wells

Still Alice

Still Alice - Lisa Genova From an objective pov, it's 3 stars. I give the book from a subjective standpoint 4 stars. The story really started off with a bang. At least for me. The juxtaposing of metaphors and relationship dynamics that Genova used, really came across beautifully. This novel is very educational, especially for people who has a loved one who has AD. I laughed, I cried, I got angry, and I flailed. I also learned a great deal about a subject had little prior knowledge of. Where Genova struggled included the fleshing out of most all of the other characters who were involved in Alice's life, leaving them one-dimensional. Genova's novel also included too many psychological and neurological jargon and terms that it made my head spin a little. It also made the reader aware that they weren't only reading a story, but being lectured about this disease. Because of this, Still Alice struggles to achieve it's fictional voice as a novel. It would have been more novel like if Genova possibly explored writing in 1st person as opposed to 3rd. Though, Genova clearly had an agenda with this work (which I think is totally fine) so 3rd aloud her to be able to achieve that, but to the detriment of artistic presence Either way it's worth a read. I really enjoyed it!