sinmotion

Emotional Reader

Lost in a book somewhere. Experiencing emotions.

On the Road
Jack Kerouac
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
Dave Eggers
Jane Eyre
Michael Mason, Charlotte Brontë
A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire #1)
George R.R. Martin, Roy Dotrice
Coda
Emma Trevayne
Blackout
Robison Wells
A Need So Beautiful - Suzanne Young I hate to sound like a pessimistic reader, but I found this book to be a bit anticlimactic and characters, a little irritating. EXCEPT FOR THE VERY LAST PAGE! THAT really threw me for a mind-f*ck and I'll admit to wanting to read the sequel for that reason alone. It wasn't so much a cliff hanger...the one that enrages a reader with anger or need for the next book, but It's truly compelling. Perhaps it was just me, but I felt a bit underwhelmed, but I decided to change my original rating of 2 stars to 2.5. Most of that is due to the last page and the fact that it had started out so promising. Charlotte is some form of angel-esque being, who has a time limit on how long she can stay on Earth. However, she only finds that bit of info out gradually throughout the book. She has these increasingly painful need compulsions that overtake her, forcing her into finding someone specific who could benefit from her omniscience about them and their life. Each time she does one of these good deeds, she loses a bit of her physical humanity and start to turn gold. According to her mentor figure, Manroe, it's her destiny as a Forgotten and she'll one day turn into light. The most beautiful light and that'll be the end of it. However, she doesn't want to disappear forever and she tries to find a way to stay, only it becomes a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario for her. That's really it folks. For some reason all the characters felt a little too one dimensional and flat. As a heroine, all I felt Charlotte let me in on her character was her day-to-day experience with her friends/family and her needs. However it all got rather boring after the first few experiences. How many times does reading about her feeling the need compel her into going to talk to someone suppose to excite/interest the reader? There was nothing menacing about her doing it, or her encounters, and I never felt any sort of tension that would make it truly captivating. The best situation was when she went to sit with the gay guy who dying . I found it to be really touching. I was also very irritated that she kept lying to Harlin in the worst way and hardly ever apologized in a manner that demonstrated true contrition other than try to get physically intimate with him, (distracting him) using a kiss, sex, or other forms of touch. I suppose I was more irritated about the way he didn't really confront her about it until the last 30 pages of the novel. It's like, buddy you need to man up and call her on her f*ckery! The biggest problem was that there was not one person I truly cared about in this novel to a normal degree. I did feel for Harlin at first, but then for some reason I became a little irritated with him and stopped caring. Not caring about the characters, especially the main ones, is never a good thing. Anyway, I didn't find anything spectacular about this read, except for the last page, as I said before. The pacing was off, characters rather flat, it was redundant, and the prose wasn't anything to gut me, make me swoon, or feel anything other than "meh!". But through all that I didn't hate it, so I can't give it 1 star and I had started off excited to read it and then the very very end, like the last page, really intrigued me. It's more like 2.5 stars but I feel that maybe I'm just being weird about this...like if I'd been able to read in one sitting as I usually do, as oppose to the constant stop-and-go I experienced while reading this, I wouldn't be so harsh? It could all just be wishful thinking. Recap of my issues:The redundancy. It's really quite repetitive, all this need calling out to Charlotte and her skin turning gold, and her stomach pains and headaches. Also, the fact that she's constantly saying she doesn't want to be forgotten is all so draining. We get it! The pacing. The way it seems like no time has gone by at all for every event to escalate to the extreme bothered me. The first time Charlotte decided to not follow her need her whole body damn near turns grey. Really? That soon? I mean she only had one spot of gold on her shoulder after serving two needs in the beginning of the book AND that's after she already completed a few other need assignments before the timeline of the book. Her turning gold was much more gradual to her turning grey. I don't know if it's to symbolize something more significant, that turning against your destiny really sets you back further than your progress when you follow it, but if so, it was poorly executed in my opinion. It felt disingenuous. Harlin's attitude toward Charlottes lies. I think it took too damn long to call her out on her lies. Furthermore, when he did it seemed so anticlimactic and flat. I dunno. I just couldn't help but not care.