sinmotion

Emotional Reader

Lost in a book somewhere. Experiencing emotions.

On the Road
Jack Kerouac
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
Dave Eggers
Jane Eyre
Michael Mason, Charlotte Brontë
A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire #1)
George R.R. Martin, Roy Dotrice
Coda
Emma Trevayne
Blackout
Robison Wells
This is Not a Test - Courtney Summers JFC! These characters. What an insufferable lot to put up with while reading. As much as I enjoyed the story and how it was written, keeping my interest from beginning to end, and the zombie backdrop, I couldn't relate to many of the characters; they ended up falling a little flat to me. I am not quite convinced I know who any of them are aside from Sloan, the main character, and I most certainly know that I didn't grow to genuinely give a crap about them. Can I really enjoy a book when I don't care about the people who are involved in the story?If I could rate This is Not a Test on story plot and delivery alone, I'd give it 4-5 stars. Truly, it plays in the backyard of a being a powerful story. The events that were happening, the tension and suspense Summers was able to build and hold throughout was thrilling. The writing? Pretty much on point. But unfortunately, the six people of which the story greatly involve left a lot to be desired. Although the questions of morality and the decisions one makes when their survival is at stake, were adequately explored within the context of this scenario. Besides the general annoying behavior, they also made a bunch of senseless decisions that I guess I'm to chalk up to the fact that they're teens. But I don't know, after coming to terms with their fear and desire to survive, the realization of escaping the horror should have included more thought and planning, or more "Hell no were aren't, or rather, I am NOT doing THAT!". I did like how Summers, showed how their increasing relaxed state with growing used to the complacency of their situation (finding sanctuary in the school) was juxtaposed with their more inhuman moral decisions when threatened (Sloan getting Rhy's back into the building and Trace putting the male teacher out). It was nice to see an arc between the precariousness of their lives and their loss of humanity as more time passed.Out of the all the characters, Cary turned out to be the only one I could identify with and I found myself rooting for him and Rhys throughout the book. That being said, I hope if I am around during such and end-of-the-world occurrence I don't have people like them around me. I found myself wanting to put a bullet through their heads, or my own, just to escape the idiocy, immaturity, b-llshit. Like isn't it enough it's the end of the world outside? Must we now torture each other with the petty foolishness of high school bravado, machismo, and self-centered entitlement? "She always said I'd die without her and she left anyway." "but you didn't die""I did. I'm just waiting for the rest of me to catch up."This story examines how a young suicidal girl (Sloan), who was physically and emotionally abused by her father, and abandoned by her older sister, makes choices for herself when the opportunity to end her life just got easier. How does one view the end of the world when they no longer value life? Read and find out one way.